Tuesday, February 4, 2014

First Egg Freezing Cycle: Stimulation Phase, Part 2

I had an ultrasound on my fifth day of injections (actually I’d only done the injections 4 times because the appointment was in the morning and the injections don’t happen until night time).  The nurse asked me if I felt bloated and I said no, I wasn’t feeling anything. I began to worry that it wasn’t working properly since I wasn’t feeling anything. During the ultrasound, the doctor told the nurse (who was taking notes) about the follicles she found: “I see see an 8. Another 8. 3 smaller ones…” The “8” was referring to the size of the follicles, though I have no idea in what units. In all, it sounded like she had only found 9 follicles though I didn’t ask her about it and she didn’t offer a final count. I had been asked to bring my Ganirelix to this appointment in case it was time to start using it. Ganirelix is a drug that keeps you from ovulating during the egg freezing cycle--if you were to ovulate, you would lose all the eggs as they would be released into your body and no longer be available for retrieval. It was not yet time for the Ganirelix. I started to feel pretty discouraged. It seemed like there weren’t many follicles, certainly not the 15 I’d been hoping for, and additionally I wasn’t feeling any side effects of the medication. It wasn’t time for Ganirelix yet, did that mean the stimulation was running behind? I was afraid the stimulation wasn’t working but very well but the doctor rushed out before I had a chance to gather my thoughts and ask her about it.


One interesting thing about Stanford is that unlike most clinics, they don’t give you blood tests during your stimulation phase, only ultrasounds. While I was going through my first egg freezing cycle, I didn’t know that most places give blood tests as well, but I have since picked up that fact from reading other people’s egg freezing blogs and from the Eggsurance.com forums. It sounds like most clinics give blood tests on the same days they give ultrasounds. I guess Stanford does not consider this necessary. Maybe I will ask about the reasoning when I go in for my second egg freezing cycle because it seems sort of strange that Stanford doesn’t take the same measurements as everyone else.


Anyway, after the ultrasound, I went home and got the unused Ganirelix out of my bag to put it back in the fridge. That’s when I noticed that it said to store at room temperature on the package. All my medications had come surrounded by ice packs, so I had assumed they all had to go in the fridge. I checked the other meds and discovered that the HCG, the “trigger shot” I would take 35 hours before the egg retrieval, was also supposed to be stored at room temperature. I started to freak out. This was extremely expensive medication, if I had ruined it by accidentally storing it in the fridge, I didn’t know what I would do! I immediately emailed the clinic to tell them about my mistake and ask if the medication was ok. Thankfully they replied that the fridge would not have hurt the medications.


I  continued on with my injections routine. I did continued to do the Follistim first so that I could lie down immediately after the Menopur in case I got dizzy again. But fortunately I didn’t feel faint again after the Menopur. It was always a pain to mix up and I was always a little scared to give myself the Menopur shot, but at least I wasn’t about to black out anymore (see previous post).


I went in for another ultrasound on Day 7. The doctor again read out the sizes of the follicles. It still didn’t sound like there were very many. I told her I was worried it wasn’t working because I wasn’t experiencing the bloating or feelings of heaviness the nurses asked about. She assured me it was working fine, and that it was a good thing I wasn’t too bloated at this stage. “Don’t worry, you’ll feel it,” she said. It still was not time for Ganirelix.


At my Day 9 ultrasound,  it sounded like there were a few more follicles. Dr. Westphal said my right ovary was not stimulating as well as my left one, and she raised my dose of Follistim from 75 IU to 150 IU.  She also told me that the egg retrieval would not be on the day that was originally planned as I needed to stimulate a bit longer. It was also finally time for the Ganirelix. She told me to give myself the injection right there in the examining room. A nurse brought me a couple of alcohol swabs and then left the room. I was a little flustered. There was no instruction sheet, I couldn’t look up an injection video on the internet, and it was a tiny examining room with no sink so I couldn’t even wash my hands first. I wiped them down with the alcohol swab to try to clean them (you are always supposed to wash your hands before giving yourself an injection). Luckily Ganirelix comes in a pre-filled syringe and doesn’t involve any mixing. The needle looked a little larger than the ones I had become accustomed to. I pinched up some skin and tried to poke the needle in. It wouldn’t go in. I switched to another spot, and still the needle wouldn’t go in. I was really starting to freak out. I finally got lucky on the third or fourth spot I tried; the needle went in and I depressed the plunger on the syringe to give myself the injection. When I was done, some blood came out. I didn’t have a gauze pad or anything so I swabbed it with alcohol and hoped that it wouldn’t become irritated from my jeans. Later on, a bruise developed at that spot. I was not liking this Ganirelix at all.


Now that I was to be on a higher dose of Follistim, I was in danger of running out of medication. Follistim cartridges come in several sizes; mine were 300 IU, each good for 4 days of 75-IU doses. I had 3 cartridges in total so enough for 12 days of stimulation at the original dose, though only 10 days of stimulation had been anticipated. Now I would be moving to a higher dose. Did I need to order more medication? I remembered the nurse had mentioned during the injection training class that the manufacturer over-fills the Follistim cartridges, so we should not throw them away when we’re done in case we need an extra day. I decided to wait on ordering more meds in case the overfill was enough to keep me from buying more.


The next few days I continued with Ganirelix in the morning and Follistim and Menopur at night. I was always afraid of the Ganirelix shot in case I had a repeat of the first time, but luckily there were no more disasters. In order to give myself the Follistim dose on Day 10, I had to use the over-fill from all 3 Follistim cartridges, which involved giving myself 3 separate injections! But it was enough medication.


At my Day 11 ultrasound, it sounded like there were quite a few more follicles. I guess the higher dose was working. Dr. Westphal wanted to stimulate for an additional day, and now I was really going to be out of medication. I had a little bit of Follistim overflow left in the third cartridge, and I was completely out of Menopur. She gave me a prescription to take to the Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy in town for two 75-IU vials of Menopur, and she told me to inject the rest of the Follistim overflow, up to 75 IU. That would take care of my injections for that evening, which would be the last day of of stimulating medications. The following day would be my trigger shot, and the egg retrieval would be on the 14th day of the cycle.


The nurse took me to a little room with a table and two chairs to go over my final instructions prior to the egg retrieval.She gave me a sheet of paper that showed me exactly what time I had to take the “trigger shot” which is HCG. It makes the eggs finish maturing and gets them ready for retrieval. You will ovulate the eggs 40 hours after taking the shot, so the retrieval is set for 35 hours after taking the shot. The timing of this shot is extremely important; if you mess it up, you could basically ruin the entire egg freezing cycle. I had to sign a paper that I understood when I needed to take the shot. The nurse then showed me how to mix up the HCG using a large mixing needle and explained to me how to get all the medication out of the vial and into the syringe. And she gave me a handout about Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS). She recommended that I immediately start the suggested OHSS diet, even before the retrieval. The diet involved drinking Gatorade and Pedialyte instead of plain water, and having 3-4 whey protein shakes a day. I was a little annoyed to be told so last-minute since I would have to immediately go out and buy supplies.

I had to wait about an hour at the pharmacy to pick up my medications. And since it was a specialty pharmacy that didn’t have normal drugstore items, I had to go to another drugstore to get the Gatorade, Pedialyte and whey protein powder. That night, I gave myself the last of the stimulation shots. It was nearly over!

No comments:

Post a Comment