Thursday, January 30, 2014

Closing In on a Clinic Choice

I feel like the choice of a clinic is being made for me, in that out of the four clinics I’m considering, only one can really accommodate my preferred timeline. It looks like I will be going with Stanford again for my next cycle. Here’s what happened with the other clinics:


  • Nova IVF: as I mentioned in a previous post, they don’t have any appointments available for the rest of 2014. I went on a waiting list with them and sent in my registration materials. I emailed them some questions about the egg freezing program to try to figure out if it would be worth waiting, but have not received a response.
  • FPNC (Fertility Physicians of Northern California): I have a consult set up for March. They have recently become part of the Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF) and things seem to be changing a lot after the merger; the doctor I will be seeing in March is from PAMF and not from FPNC. I am a bit concerned about that because a big part of the reason I was interested in this clinic was their good SART statistics. I will now be seeing a doctor who didn’t contribute to those statistics, which I’m not so happy about.
  • Zouves Fertility Center (ZFC): My consult was postponed AGAIN because my medical records STILL have not arrived from Stanford.


I have mixed feelings about going with Stanford again--it is easy, familiar, I like my doctor there, and I can start really soon. However Stanford’s success with regular IVF is well below the national average, and they don’t have much experience with turning frozen eggs into babies. I guess I am hoping that they will improve and gain experience with frozen eggs before I need to actually use the eggs! I can’t help but feel a little discouraged about it being so hard to complete research on all the clinics.

I am keeping my scheduled consults with other clinics because I may well do a third egg freezing cycle and so I will consider the other clinics for that future cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment