Sunday, January 19, 2014

Consents and Exercise

Yesterday I sent off my preliminary consent to be treated to the doctor.

I am also working on getting into shape prior to the egg freezing. I am on week 2 of the RunDouble Couch to 5K program. I need to get my exercise in now because you cannot do most exercise for several weeks during the egg freezing process: you have to stop exercising (except for walking) after the first few days of hormone injections, and you have to stay off exercise for a while after the egg retrieval procedure--until your ovaries shrink back to their normal size. This is because while the ovaries are enlarged from the hormone injections, there is a risk of torsion--twisting of the ovary, which can lead to the blood supply being cut off and could even lead to you losing the ovary. To avoid this risk, the doctors advise you to avoid exercise. During my previous egg freezing cycle, I was told to stop exercise except for walking after the 4th day of hormone injections.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm writing an article for Bloomberg Businessweek about elective egg
    freezing—focusing on what it means for women in their 30s/40s. I'd love to speak to you about your experience. Please let me know if you're willing! Thanks so much. Best,

    Emma

    --
    Emma Rosenblum
    ETC Editor
    Bloomberg Businessweek
    212-617-4317
    erosenblum2@bloomberg.net

    ReplyDelete