Friday, January 24, 2014

Waiting for Clinics

Right now I am doing a lot of waiting for clinics. This is frustrating because I am in a hurry to get this egg freezing show on the road. Right now my job situation makes it pretty easy for me to take the time to freeze eggs, but that won’t necessarily be the case a few months down the road. So I want to get this done sooner rather than later.


  • Nova IVF: They don’t have any appointments available for the next year (!). I went on the waiting list. So obviously Nova is not an option for anytime soon, but it could be attractive for another egg freezing cycle in the future because it is supposed to be a very good clinic. Nova has the highest rate of live births from regular IVF of the clinics I’m considering, which indicates that it is a good clinic in general, although I don’t yet know anything about their egg freezing statistics. (There are no nationally reported statistics on egg freezing but you can use the IVF statistics reported through SART to get an idea of if it is a good clinic overall. From Carole Wegner’s “Finding a good egg freezing clinic”: “Even though egg freezing is not tracked directly by the CDC, once you identify ART clinics that also provide egg freezing, you can check out their pregnancy and live birth rates using fresh eggs to get an idea about how good they are at routine IVF and by extension, suggest they might be good at egg freezing. Or put another way, having good IVF rates does not guarantee good egg freezing rates but being a below-average clinic for IVF does not lead one to expect exceptional egg freezing rates.”)
  • Fertility Physicians of Northern California: I called to make an appointment but their new patient coordinator is out of the office, so I will have to wait until she returns to find out more information.
  • Zouves Fertility Center: I was supposed to have the consultation today, but it has been postponed because my medical records from Stanford didn’t arrive in time.


So I am waiting for clinics. In the meantime, I am continuing with my supplement routine. I haven’t been as good about diet and exercise unfortunately.

I also just finished reading Sarah Elizabeth Richards’ Motherhood, Rescheduled: The New Frontier of Egg Freezing and the Women Who Tried It. It follows the stories of four women (including the author herself) who have frozen their eggs. It is a great read, I couldn’t put it down because I was so excited to see what would happen with each of the women in the end. I would definitely recommend this book if you are interested in egg freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment