Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Baseline Ultrasound

I went in for my baseline ultrasound today. Ideally my period would have already started, but it has not; as long it comes in the next five days, then things will be ok. Today a resident was with Dr. Westphal, and the resident manned the ultrasound probe. This was very uncomfortable. The ultrasounds, which involve having a probe inserted into the vagina, had never bothered me before but this one was different. The resident obviously had not yet developed good technique, so I was in some pain throughout the ultrasound. She counted 6 antral follicles on the left and 7 on the right, for a total of 13. Definitely not the number of antral follicles I was hoping for--I would have ideally liked to have 10 on each side. I’m hoping that she did a bad job counting and that there are actually some more follicles hiding back there. So overall it was not a great appointment, what with the resident poking around painfully and with the relatively low antral follicle count. At least there are no cysts on the ovaries, so we will be able to proceed with the cycle.

The next step is for me to wait until my period comes and then call the clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment