Thursday, March 13, 2014

Starting the Stimulation

My period came yesterday, so that means that I started my stimulation injections tonight. This time there were 33 days between periods, which is kind of a long time, but better than last time when there were 39 days between periods!

I went in for some blood tests today for various hormones, including some that need to be tested on day 2 or day 3 of the period. I got tested for FSH, estradiol, AMH, and prolactin. The hope is that these tests will give some insight into why I have such a long time between periods. I did not actually have these tests because of the current egg freezing cycle though I have learned from reading other egg freezing blogs and sites that most clinics test for estradiol (and maybe other hormones too) at the beginning of each cycle; however Stanford does not routinely do that. In this case I was having the tests to try to find out why my menstrual cycle is so long. But I am kind of glad I got these tests done at the beginning of the cycle anyway, even though Stanford doesn’t use them.

My injections went well tonight. I was doing Gonal-F for the first time(since I used Follistim during the previous egg freezing cycle) and I am happy to report that the Gonal-F did not hurt going in. I even had a pretty easy time with the Menopur injection, my old nemesis from the first egg freezing cycle--though that one did hurt going in.

Now I will have to wait and see if there are different side effects compared with last time.  I am on double the dose of medication, 150 IU Gonal-F + 150 IU Menopur compared with 75 IU Follistim + 75 IU Menopur last cycle. Therefore I am a bit concerned that I may experience more side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment